Join our home gardening group and
receive raised beds in your own yard!
Who is Edible Evanston?
Edible Evanston encourages Evanston residents to grow and share locally grown food.
We provide opportunities for individuals to expand their knowledge of nutrition, growing food, and composting and to experience the benefits of Evanston-raised produce for themselves.
What is the program about?
We installed and supported gardens for 20 families and organizations in 2015–16 with assistance of a grant from the Evanston Community Foundation. We plan for this program to be self-sustaining through private contributions.
Who is it for?
Evanstonians who have thought
about having their own garden
but do not know how to take
the first step should apply to let
us help you grow that “green
thumb.” Low-income families
are encouraged to apply.
What you get from Edible Evanston:
- Edible Evanston wants to help you build your own garden. We’ll provide materials for two raised beds, soil, and some initial plants and seeds.
- You will also receive workshops, a journal to track your progress, plus your own personal garden mentor.
Some locations may receive containers if more suitable; others may receive city-provided rain barrels or compost bins.
What you provide:
- Your time and labor to help us build and install your garden, as well as ongoing care and maintenance
- Participation in required workshops to learn as well as to share your successes and challenges with fellow new gardeners
- A written record of your experiences, growing conditions, and harvests
- An ongoing commitment to food gardening
Your new garden can give you:
- Delicious, nutritious, fresh food you can share with family and friends
- Savings on grocery bills and knowledge of where your food comes from
- Joy and lifelong skills you can share with family and friends
You pay only for materials. Typical materials are $150, but fees range from $25 to $300, depending on need and selections. Limited financial assistance is available thanks to other generous gardeners and the start-up grant from the Evanston Community Foundation.
How to apply:
Download our paper application or use the online application below. Our spring 2016 deadline is passed, but you may still apply here and future applications will be accepted on a rolling basis for review and building as time, funding and volunteer personnel allow. Questions: email newgardeners[at]edibleevanston[dot]org
Edible Evanston New Vegetable Garden Program Application
Please answer the following questions. Your responses determine if your household qualifies, and, optionally, if it qualifies for financial assistance. Your personal information will be kept confidential. Limited slots are available.
Optionally, tell us more about your gardening experience and current gardening situation as well as what the most important things are which you hope to gain from this program. Photos of your planned space are appreciated.
Limited slots are available.